Child Support Information; Alberta; Canada;
Child Support Information:
How is Child Support determined?
- Base Child Support is determined by the non-primary parent’s ongoing income as determined under the Child Support Guidelines.
- In addition there may be additional support for for specific expenses as defined under section 7 of those Guidelines, which expenses are shared between the parents proportionate to their relative incomes.
- Where parenting is shared equally, or where children do not spend more than 60% of their time in the care of one parent, the Guidelines May not strictly apply, depending upon the parties relative incomes and the manner in which expenses are shared between the parents. This area of law is complicated and more specific legal advice may be required in these cases to determine support payable.
How long is child support paid?
- Child support is payable until a child is 18 years of age, however, it may confuse beyond 18 years of age where the child suffers a disability preventing themselves from being self-supporting or where they are pursuing an education or vocational training and are unable to support themselves as a result. There is no formal maximum period under the Divorce Act regarding how long child support may continue though generally support will be directed until the completion of a first degree or diploma.
Is Assistance available to help me collect support ordered or agreed to be paid?
- The Alberta Government provides assistance through their Maintenance Enforcement Department to enforce collection of ongoing child and spousal support. Their office can take numerous collections steps, including attachment of wages, seizure of assets, withdrawal of driving privileges and, in consort with the Federal Government, attachment of federal benefits (tax refunds, Canada Pension) and withdrawal of federal entitlements, including potential withholding of Passport privileges. For assistance in registering with Maintenance Enforcement, see Alberta Government Maintenance Enforcement website.